6.02.2016

Begin Again

In October of 2015, we chose 50 students to travel to five different countries with Children’s Global Alliance. They then spent eight months fundraising, planning lessons and practicing language. Our main fundraiser was a huge success, bigger than ever, giving us more funds to work with in Morocco, Nicaragua, Nepal, Cambodia and Tanzania. This year, we had three student’s who have “aged out”, ask to participate again. AJ was unable to travel but assisted as a mentor during the months leading up to the trip. Nicole agreed to come to our first trip to Morocco as a Student Advisor and Kevin agreed to come to Morocco and Tanzania as a Student Advisor. Their years of experience will be so beneficial to the newer students and we are thrilled to travel with them one last time. 

I have been taking classes on teaching ELL and have learned many tricks and processes for helping our students lead their classes in these countries. We are trying to focus on teaching the students practical English, things they can use to communicate with English speaker who come to visit their countries. Jen compiled a huge amount of resources for our volunteers to use and pass along to the teachers at the schools. I feel that we are entering these countries more prepared than ever to teach English and assist the local educators. 


This summer I will be working in four different countries. I will be on our first ever trip to Morocco to work at the Abdasalam Sayah Middle School in Rabat, a school in Bhaktapur Nepal, CPO orphanage in Phnom Penh Cambodia and LOAMO school in Arusha Tanzania. I will be gone for two months and will work with 25 different student volunteers from the Vail Valley (and one from Baltimore!). I hope you enjoy my blog, a glimpse into my experiences. There will be long hours and lots of hard work, but I could not be more excited. I was born to do this.