8.01.2014

Interlude

I am sitting on a plane in Washington DC, preparing to depart for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. My final stop is Arusha, Tanzania. 26 days ago I returned from three weeks in Cambodia. I’d traveled there last year for the first time and it is my favorite place on earth. To return, to see the kids again, was one of the happiest times of my life. Reintegration back into the United States, or any “first world” country is quite difficult. To leave a world where no one has anything, yet everyone is so happy, and return to a place where we are so blessed and still want more. I am always overcome by frustration, judgement, anger and impatience. I long to return to a simpler life, where survival is all that matters, remaining present is easy because now is all you have. I am not immune to the desires and material enjoyments of the US. I drank a $5 Starbucks this morning, I own an iPhone, my main mode of transportation is my car, which I drive multiple times a day. Each trip I take however, I detach myself little by little. Small things like more conscious choices of purchases, but most powerfully, being grateful for amazing opportunities and blessings given to me. Every day you can be thankful for so much. 


These trips are all about inspiration and the cultivation of awareness. Awareness of the world’s diversity, awareness of our privileged lives, awareness of the small part we play in the grand and elaborate adventure of life. I return home angry, frustrated and intolerant. I find myself silently judging the way people choose to live, while desperately grasping onto my newfound enlightenment. This space, however, is lonely. Few people can relate to the experiences felt and seen by me and my CGA family. To continue to live in these past adventures is in it’s own right, not being present, authentic or aware. True awareness comes from bringing your realizations and new growth, and applying these lessons to real, every day life. To find every opportunity to share your growth and knowledge with those around you. By bringing the passion and excitement of the other life you have lived, you subtly demonstrate how any change can positively impact your environment. Take every opportunity to pass along the gifts of gratefulness and awareness you have gained. There is such power in living by example, embodying every change and lesson learned, and showing up with a purpose in everything you do. Returning from life changing experiences, no matter what kind, is such a gift, the best way to share that gift is to give a part of it away in everything you do. I am learning the most amazing things from every moment of every day while on these trips, and I am so happy to share these small meaningful gifts with you. I hope they can begin to change your life, like they are changing mine.