7.13.2015

Day 22: The Switch

When driving to the airport in Cambodia, my heart was breaking. I did not want to leave. How was I to flip a switch and prepare for Tanzania when I was not emotionally ready? Our travel day seemed longer than I expected, and although I slept on the plane, I did not feel well. This was going to be a harder transition than I thought.

Outside the arrival gate, Jodie waited eagerly. Upon seeing her, the unease I had been feeling started to fade, even when I dumped my trolley filled with our five bags in front of the crowd waiting outside. As we travelled the familiar road between Kilimanjaro Airport and Arusha, the brown and green landscape whizzed by us. Goat herders, young and old, tended to their livelyhood. It is much cooler here than in Cambodia, the air is more dry. The beauty of Tanzania begins to fill my heart once again. Vivid colors adorn every woman and man proudly. Lush green forest indicates the base of Mt. Meru. "I'm excited now." I whispered to Lisa Marie. The switch has been flipped. Cambodia has become my past, now Tanzania is my present.